Thursday, June 21, 2007

Jheri Curl Juice

Bring back the Jheri Curl!!!

Wow, I admit I had a fake Jheri Curl in 7th grade. I put a shit load of baby oil in it so I had this greasy 'do...a big DON'T

Check out these other 80's don'ts

(I can't take credit for this compilation)


eighties hair

Crimped Hair.Inspired by the movie, "Howard the Duck", I spent hours in the bathroom crimping my hair with a $4.95 Conair Crimping Iron. Who knew that the "electrical shock" look would inspire a generation of bathroom beauticians.

nancy reagan

80's Career Blouses. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get the "fema-tie" part correct- the resulting tie always looked like something worn by Colonel Sanders. I should have just said "No".

acid wash jean

Acid Wash Jeans. My favorite pair was a pair of blue acid washed jeans by Guess! I loved those jeans so much that I would gently wash the jeans by hand and then hang them in the bathroom to dry. I cried when my brother, angry at me for "borrowing " his black polka shirt, shrunk them.

jheri curl

Jheri Curl Admit it, in the early 80s you wanted a curl. The amount of activator sold in the 1980's could have moisturized the world's children. Afraid of what the activator juice would do to our furniture, my parents vetoed the hair style, but did allow me to get a "dry" curl aka a "Wave Nouveau (basically a curl minus the greasy activator).

stirrup pants

Stirrup Pants. I was working at Lerner's New York (now called NY & Company) in the mid 1990's when these pants were H-O-T! I remember one Saturday a vicious argument broke out between two customers over the last pair of medium-tall black stirrup pants. Lucky for me (but unlucky for my fashion health), I scooped up four pair (black, cream, navy blue, and hunter green) as they were unpacked in the back room. Update: They may be coming back.

MC Hammer pants

Parachute Pants I'm still suffering from post-traumatic-fashion stress from wearing these pants. However for a period of time in the early 1990s, these pants were a staple of my wardrobe (soon to be replaced by flannel shirts). The remaining stock should have been burnt after Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo.Update: These may be coming back as well.

plastic sandals

Jelly Shoes Something is wrong when your shoes can double as lunch containers. Nonetheless, I rocked my $.99 jelly shoes like they were the hottest things since the sequined glove. I like to think of them as my Manolo's of the 80s.

Feel offended by my critique of the Jheri Curl? Want to express your love for Parachute Pants? Have a topic you would like me to address? Post your fashion mistake below.

No comments: